Tolmin – XC Course, Slovenia
Monday 17th – 22nd of August 2020
You know how to thermal up to cloud base but don’t know where to go next?
The aim of this course is to improve your cross country skills so you can enjoy longer airtime. You will get coaching in the air and on the ground.
The Soça valley in Slovenia is the center for outdoor activities in Europe and famous for paragliding. It offers easy and reliable XC flights for all levels of pilots. The air in Slovenia is never so rowdy or rough. There are plenty of official landings in the valley with windsocks.
The valley is one of the most scenic and memorable in Europe, with
the emerald green Soça river that flows along the center. You can see the Dolomites in the west on a clear day, but the region is dominated by 3,000 m of Triglav in the north.
- Theory and practice XC flying
- Meteo and reading the sky
- How to predict a good XC day?
- Thermal techniques for different conditions
- Decision making – which line to choose to keep your gained altitude, where to search your next thermal
- Efficiency – Optimizing your flying time
- Set-up of your paragliding gear and flying instruments
- Psychology and safety in the air
Coaching in the air
During the flight you’ll receive instructions and guidance via radio. Our guide, Giuseppe Mastromichele, flies together with the group
to assist and reassure you constantly feel at ease and safe in the air.
Through pre- and post-flight briefing you get the opportunity the integrate well the concepts of flying in cross-country.
The goal of the course is to develop knowledge and skills to make you a more confident pilot.
We’ll stay on campsite ‘Camp Gabrje’, from where daily shuttle bus will take us to the launch site. After the flight you can land next to the campsite and take a refreshing swim in the Soça river.